In Indiana, we take basketball very seriously. Did you know we are home to 5 out of 6 of the largest high school gyms? It’s not just basketball to us. It’s a lifestyle.
We are very lucky to have the NCAA headquartered in our own backyard! Final Four Tournament time is always exciting, but even more so when we welcome guests to our city to watch the games and experience Indianapolis. I love walking around downtown and seeing all of the different fans enjoying tournament time.
What you need to know –
The following is a schedule of team practices that are free and open to the public at Bankers Life Field house:
12:00 pm to 12:40 p.m. – Oklahoma State
12:45 p.m. to 1:25 p.m. – Jacksonville State
1:30 p.m. to 2:10 p.m. – Michigan
2:15 p.m. to 2:55 p.m. – Louisville
4:25 p.m. to 5:05 p.m. – Dayton
5:10 p.m. to 5:50 p.m. – Kentucky
5:55 p.m. to 6:35 p.m. – Wichita State
6:40 p.m. to 7:20 p.m. – Northern Kentucky
FINAL FOUR FIRST/SECOND ROUND GAMES
Game 1 – 12:15 pm – (7) Michigan vs (10) Oklahoma State
Game 2 – (2) Louisville vs (15) Jacksonville St
Game 3 – 7:10 pm (7) Dayton vs (10) Wichita State
Game 4 – (2) Kentucky vs (15) Northern Kentucky
Sunday’s games will consist of Winner of Game 1 vs Winner of Game 2. Winner of Game 3 vs Winner of Game 4. The times have not been announced yet.
FINAL FOUR FIRST/SECOND ROUND TAILGATE FESTIVITIES
I am super excited to be partnering with Wendy’s to cover their first/second round stop for Wendy’s Drive to the Final Four! I freaking love how funny and creative their marketing/social media team can be (hello twitter responses, I’m rolling.) I’m pumped to see what they have put together for this event! #Drive2TheFinal4
• Tailgate March 17: Georgia Street, Center Block 11AM – 7PM
• Tailgate March 19: Georgia Street, East Block 10AM – 2PM
Wendy’s will have their food truck serving free samples of fresh, never frozen cheeseburgers and Frosty treats. Mmmm who doesn’t love a frosty?
• Beat-the-Clock Shot: Putting 3 seconds on the clock, fans are given a chance to beat the buzzer and sink a basket for a chance to win Unreasonable Upgrades, like gift cards and upgraded game tickets to regional tournaments
• Don’t Get Frozen in the Moment Photo Opp: Showing off their game-winning shot, fans will be recorded in slow motion and they can share it on social media
• Fresh, Never-Frozen Wendy’s Bracket: Making game-time decisions before tip-off, fans can learn more about Wendy’s one-of-a-kind bracket builder on Twitter
• Fresh Beef Filter: Unlocking a unique snapcode, consumers can share their experience with a Fresh filter.
Follow along with my visit on snapchat: katewhitney317
WHAT TO EXPECT
Packed bars. Get there early if you plan on lounging all day. Like…. 10 am early. Kilroys, Brothers, The Claddagh and the Pub are just a few of the many bars located within a block of Bankers Field house. Oh and did I mention that is is also St. Patrick’s day? The Blarney Bash will take place on the east block of Georgia St. Green beer, live music and basketball galore!
Look out for all of those Kentucky and Louisville Fans. I, myself, am a DIE HARD Kentucky Fan. I love when I pass someone decked out in Kentucky blue! C-A-T-S baby! Both team’s fans travel extremely well. Michigan and Dayton fans will also be in attendance.
Please try to be patient. Take an uber if possible. Don’t park in garages as these tend to get backed up with pedestrian traffic. Do not park at the mall. Recently there have been a few instances where people have gotten stuck in the garage for 2+ hours. The mall parking lot will have several exit closures on Friday from 7am to 7pm. Don’t get stuck!!!
Don’t be a jerk to a rival team. Let them enjoy their moment. Be kind to others and show them some true Hoosier hospitality.